Bena Kallick is a private consultant providing services to school districts, state departments of education, professional organizations, and public agencies throughout the United States and internationally.
Arthur L. Costa is professor emeritus of education at California State University, Sacramento, and co-founder of the Institute for Intelligent Behavior in El Dorado Hills, California.
- It is Critical to Continue to Respond with Wonderment and Awe
- The capacity for wonderment and awe represents the best of humanity, the heights of what we can accomplish through ingenuity, persistence, and cooperation. Read More
- Managing Impulsivity is A Skill We All Should Master!
- Several factors influence how impulsively you react to situations, but there are strategies that can help with managing impulsivity. Read More
- What Does it Look Like to Take Responsible Risks?
- When someone holds back from taking risks entirely, they may miss many opportunities.The goal is to learn to take responsible risks. Read More
- The Benefits of Finding Humor in Everyday Situations
- Finding humor in situations, and laughing because of it, can keep your brain engaged and energized while offering health benefits to your body. Read More
- Remaining Open to Continuous Learning
- Successful people are always actively gathering and analyzing feedback to support continuous learning and self-improvement. Read More
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Intelligent human beings learn from applying past knowledge to new situations. When confronted with a problem they can connect with past experiences. Read More
- Do You Pose Questions That Invite Metacognition?
- Wise teachers pose questions consciously with deliberate intentions. They know that questions engage sometimes subtle and overt responses from students. Read More
- How to Think and Communicate with Clarity and Precision
- Intelligent people strive to communicate precisely and accurately by defining terms, using correct names, universal labels and analogies. Read More
- How to Become A Flexible Thinker
- A flexible thinker has the capacity to change their minds as they receive additional data, taking on a wide range of characteristics. Read More
- Creating, Imagining, and Innovating: Divergent and Convergent Thinking
- Both divergent and convergent thinking are necessary. However, too often, we seek the one best solution before thinking about new and different ideas. Read More
- Listening with Understanding and Empathy
- Some psychologists believe listening to another person, empathizing, and understanding their point of view is one of the highest forms of intelligence. Read More
- Gathering Data Through All the Senses
- Learning about the ways that your brain gathers and stores information — through the five senses — can help as you are learning. Read More
- The Value of Questioning and Problem Posing
- There is value to questioning instead of discovering an immediate solution because questions can lead one down a path they wouldn’t otherwise go down. Read More
- The Power of Persisting: Strategies for Success
- Do you struggle persisting in the face of a difficult situation? You’re not alone! The lesson to learn, though, is that we can overcome that feeling! Read More