Materials for Session 1
Click here for link to TodaysMeet
Transcript for TodaysMeet: MBL Session 1 and 2 transcript
PDF of slides: MBL Session 1 and 2
Guidelines from the State of Connecticut
Click here to see slide presentation from State of Connecticut
FAQs from State of Connecticut on Mastery-Based Learning: Q and A on MBL
Handout: Powerful Voices on Behalf of Personalized Learning
Handout: Ed Leadership Article
Handout: Four C’s Packet
Materials for Session 2
Handout: Transfer Goals and Competencies
Handout: Elements of Personalization
Click here to see issues and ideas on personalized learning
Sample Performance Task Categories:
Click here to be linked to CT State Curricular Frameworks
Materials for Session 3
Slides for this session: MBL Session 3
Click here for Today’s Meet to connect with colleagues today
Evolution of the work with Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. For more information on CMS Personalized Learning cohorts, click here.
Personalized Learning Student Profile
- I actively support people in my classroom and school by encouraging them to do their best.
- I demonstrate character that myself and others can be proud of in and out of school.
- I build positive relationships around common ideas and aspirations to make the world better.
- I have a voice in what I’m doing (scope and relevance), who I’m doing it for (audience), and how I’m doing it (process).
- I can articulate what quality looks like and use that to set goals and monitor progress.
- I give myself permission to struggle,seek feedback, and improve.
- I know what is expected of me and work toward those expectations.
Paces, Playlists and Pathways
- I control the pace of my learning: when I need to accelerate and slow down.
- I control the path of my learning: I know which next steps to take based on my performance.
- I develop my aspirations by actively exploring college and career opportunities.
What does that look like?
- Learning Styles
- Interest based learning
- Opportunities for global relevance that develop awareness of other languages, culture and activities through virtual opportunities.
- Strong Relationships
- Growth Mindset
- Social and Emotional awareness
- Responsible for their learning
- Student goal setting
- Student reflection
- Genius Hour
- Data Driven Instruction (DDI)
- Using data and making informed choices based on the use of data.
- Standards Based Learning
- Student Growth/Data Tracker
- Meta Learning
- Understanding your learning
Paces, Playlists and Pathways
- Different learning levels
- Small group mini lessons vs whole group
- Learning opportunities outside of the school day
- Meaningful technology integration
- Authentic and meaningful problems, challenges, and tasks
- Flexible Schedule
Personalized Learning Playlist for Session 3
Three Steps for Creating Personalized Learning Playlists
Adventures in Playlisting
The Perks of Personalized Pathways and Playlists
It’s Time for Mid Course Corrections in K-12 Competency-Based Education
Jill Thompson Personalized Learning Blog Series
Sample Competencies from VT: Grade Level Clusters
Materials for Session 4
casciac – Transcript – TodaysMeet
PowerPT Slides: MBL Session 4
Habits of Mind and Connection to Personalized Learning
16 HABITS OF MIND
Intersection of PL Elements and Habits
Challenges as we move to Personalized Learning:
Personalized Learning Worries
Worry 1: Fear about Student Buy-In
Worry 2: Challenge of Doing PL and Common Curriculum and Assessment
Worry 3: Time to Do This
Power of Teachers: Development of Ideas from Session 2 and 3
mastery-based learning project 2015 mastery-based project rubric 2015
MASTERY BASED-CHEMICAL BONDING
Second example HS Science
Genetic Mutation Rubric
1st and 2nd Grade Science
Plate Tectonics ; Example of Student Work
Chemistry Capstone Project Mastery Based PD Copy
S. Grillo Ecology Unit Plan
Weather Unit Overview; Playlist
Berlin High School
English Grade 6 example
English Grade 9 Example