Working at Henry Street School for International Studies and a teacher was describing a project that engaged the students as well as taught body systems. Had to see it for myself!
Read the project outline below and take a look at the attached is a sample of student work:
Body System Superhero Project!
Purpose of the Project:
The goal is for you to gain an in depth understanding of human body systems.
For this project, you must do the following:
- Choose one human body system – it can be any body system you wish! (Does not have to be a body system that we have covered in class)
- Research your body system using internet, encyclopedia or other print sources of information. You must include a bibliography with 3 sources that you used to obtain information on your body system (No Wikipedia)
- Create Your Own superhero with a modified version of the body system you have chosen (Superhero cannot be a superhero that already exists). The Body System Superhero will consist of 2 components:
1. A Short Story
(1 page in length, Typed in 12 pt, Times New Roman font) that illustrates his/her superhero strengths and super-qualities.
- Required information in the short story:
- What is your superhero’s name?
- How did your superhero obtain their powers?
- Name of chosen body system.
- Organs/glands involved with this system.
- Function of the system in the human body.
- How is this body system enhanced in your superhero?
- How is it modified?
- What does it allow your superhero to do?
- How does your superhero fight crime or save lives?
2. A Colored Drawing of the Superhero
- Drawing must incorporate how the body system is modified or how the modified body system allows the superhero to perform his/her heroic tasks.
- Drawing must correspond to the qualities of your superhero.